Friday, April 13, 2012

Molasses and hair

Hello Lovelies,

I visited Beautiful Earth Natural Hair Haven, a salon for natural hair for the first time recently. It was the first time I’ve ever been to a salon that specializes in natural hair and only the second time I’ve been in a salon since I went natural. My first trip was to have my hair braided with extensions. I am very competent at styling my own hair, but I was curious about using a steamer and since I didn’t have one of my own, I visited the salon.

Another first happened while I was there. I was given molasses, as a treatment for my hair. I was so surprised and so I decided to do my research and prepare this blog post in case there were others out there who had no clue they could use molasses on their hair. My hair didn’t look or feel much different after my steam treatment with the Castor Oil and Molasses but that is not to say I haven’t had benefits. I have very little shedding normally even after weeks of no detangling, however, it seems my shedding is even more reduced since this treatment and hey, I’m not complaining. Furthermore, after reading about the benefits of using molasses on hair, I will be a regular user. I have decided to stop using henna for the short term as I had notice a slight loosening of my curl pattern (which now seems to have returned to its norm) and plan to use molasses as a substitute.

Without further ado, the benefits of molasses and how to use it on your hair.

Molasses can help:

Darken the hair and define natural color
• Add softness and sheen

• Strengthen weak and thinning hair

How to Use:

As a Pre-Treatment - Wet hair and apply 1/4 cup of molasses from root to tip. Leave on for at least 30 minutes and rinse thoroughly. Shampoo, condition and style as normal. Hair should feel soft and shiny.

As a Deep Conditioning Pak - Mix 1/4 cup of molasses with an equal part of a thick oil, i.e. olive or avocado oil, and add to a conditioner. Apply to hair, concentrating on the ends and let penetrate for 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and style.

For best results, use Black Strap Molasses, which is available at most grocery and natural food stores.

1. Blackstrap Molasses
o Blackstrap molasses is a thick syrup obtained from the third boiling of sugar syrup. It contains many vitamins and minerals that gives the syrup a dark color and distinct flavor. Though well known as an alternative sweetener other usages besides promoting healthy hair include its use aa treatment for acne and iron supplement

Nutritional Benefits
o Blackstrap molasses contains dense nutrients including; iron, calcium, manganese, copper, magnesium, and potassium. Improving your intake of nutrients may help to improve hair growth and the addition of blackstrap molasses to the diet offers a great way to get these essential vitamins and minerals.

Molasses as a Hair Treatment
o Many people have used blackstrap molasses as a topical hair treatment to smooth and improve the overall appearance and texture of the hair. One recommendation is to massage the molasses into your hair, cover with a shower cap or some plastic wrap and leaving in for about 1 hour. Then rinse out the molasses. This treatment should improve the condition of your hair.

Molasses to Reverse Grey Hair
o Many natural remedies for grey hair mention the addition of black strap molasses to your diet to reverse the loss of pigment in the hair shaft so that when new hair grows it regains your natural color. Blackstrap molasses contains copper that facilitates the production of melanin that assists in hair pigmentation. The recommended dosage is to take 2 teaspoons daily with results appearing in 3 to 6 months.

Molasses and Hair Growth
o Evidence suggests that an overall improvement in diet and health will be reflected in the appearance of the skin and hair. The rich vitamin and mineral content of blackstrap molasses can improve overall health by providing these nutrients and potentially help with the growth of your hair.

Till next time…..


  1. great post! my natural bff swears by molasses too but i havent tried it yet, im in love with my aloe for now. you should check out my post on aloe vera :)

    1. IrieDiva I love aloe vera as well. I'll definitely check your post

  2. So interesting! Thank you for your contribution...

  3. great post. you share that thing which we need most thanks.

  4. I find molasses very hard to find in supermarkets. Is the one straight from the sugar factory still safe to use

    1. Try Health Food Stores. I get mine from sugar factories but will be on the look out for you.

  5. I am talking in Jamaica though